cooking is hard
(the past few days I have been sleeping in till noon and beyond, so I have a lot of stored sleep in my system. And what better way to whittle away the late night hours than by writing a blogpost?)
I'm not naturally a great cook. I think that's been the subject of many a blog post, so I'm not going to bore you all with another post about how I can't cook and blah blah blah...because it's kind of a downer and whiney.
So instead! I will talk about the adventures of others - WHO CAN COOK!
I am a huge fan of nonfiction books on cooking. I like to read accounts of those who have successfully navigated the cooking waters and effortlessly come out on the other end with a perfect roast. Oftentimes, these books are hugely biographical, with recipes mixed in, because cooking and experiencing food has become such an integral part of their life experience, those recipes just MUST be there for the story to be complete. One of my favorites is "Untangling my Chopsticks" which documents an American woman's foray into Japanese cooking when she spends a few years in Japan. I bought it on a whim because it was on sale but I constantly read it because I love reading her descriptions of Japanese foods and cooking. Julia Child also has a nice biography. Really really wonderful.
Lately I've found myself paging through recipe books at bookstores - I find it really inspirational and magical to see what food can become, and how luscious it can look even in 2D. Perfectly lovely. I'm particularly drawn to vegetable dishes and salads for some reason, though meat is always impressive. On a slightly unrelated note, my mom and I used to joke that the ultimate boy-pleaser would be to push a little cart topped with steaming bamboo trays filled with dim sum towards the seated boy. "would you like a siu mai? I MADE IT MYSELF." And from that point on, it would be a done deal. At any rate, I like to look at cookbooks (boy that's a lot of double o's isn't it) for their noodles (there's another one!) and vegetables.
In terms of application, I have been a tad more active lately in trying to actually cook. I'm realizing that girl does not live on ramen alone, and it's really not that much more extra work, and it's nice to eat green vegetables and things like that...So I guess my status as of now is "trying, but not really, and not to very good results." Which I guess is an improvement over "::opening package of ramen::"
that was a jumbled post. i think it means i should sleep. ttyl, blog!
I'm not naturally a great cook. I think that's been the subject of many a blog post, so I'm not going to bore you all with another post about how I can't cook and blah blah blah...because it's kind of a downer and whiney.
So instead! I will talk about the adventures of others - WHO CAN COOK!
I am a huge fan of nonfiction books on cooking. I like to read accounts of those who have successfully navigated the cooking waters and effortlessly come out on the other end with a perfect roast. Oftentimes, these books are hugely biographical, with recipes mixed in, because cooking and experiencing food has become such an integral part of their life experience, those recipes just MUST be there for the story to be complete. One of my favorites is "Untangling my Chopsticks" which documents an American woman's foray into Japanese cooking when she spends a few years in Japan. I bought it on a whim because it was on sale but I constantly read it because I love reading her descriptions of Japanese foods and cooking. Julia Child also has a nice biography. Really really wonderful.
Lately I've found myself paging through recipe books at bookstores - I find it really inspirational and magical to see what food can become, and how luscious it can look even in 2D. Perfectly lovely. I'm particularly drawn to vegetable dishes and salads for some reason, though meat is always impressive. On a slightly unrelated note, my mom and I used to joke that the ultimate boy-pleaser would be to push a little cart topped with steaming bamboo trays filled with dim sum towards the seated boy. "would you like a siu mai? I MADE IT MYSELF." And from that point on, it would be a done deal. At any rate, I like to look at cookbooks (boy that's a lot of double o's isn't it) for their noodles (there's another one!) and vegetables.
In terms of application, I have been a tad more active lately in trying to actually cook. I'm realizing that girl does not live on ramen alone, and it's really not that much more extra work, and it's nice to eat green vegetables and things like that...So I guess my status as of now is "trying, but not really, and not to very good results." Which I guess is an improvement over "::opening package of ramen::"
that was a jumbled post. i think it means i should sleep. ttyl, blog!
Comments
Let's have a dinner party where everyone has to bring a dish that they made!