DMV Day
I’m spending today at the DMV and it’s actually not as terrible as it could be.
For one, I made a new friend in line who has the same name as me, and also regretted not making an appointment. We whispered about the lucky ones who had the foresight to make the two months out appointments, and another guy heard us and he whispered back conspirationally that they “weren’t even checking if actual appointments were made” so if you were gutsy enough you could try cheating the line. The three of us chuckled sheepishly and stayed where we were. We saw two teenagers step out of line ten minutes later and we kept firm eyes on them, ready to call them out loudly.
I read somewhere that the mark of civility in a society is the people’s ability and respect for the concept of waiting in line - today everyone is waiting patiently and with remarkably good cheer considering it’s been hours since we first arrived. We honor the process regardless how tedious and clunky. We recently went to immigration services to process Sammy’s passport and that was also a big to-do and we wondered whether celebrity children also had to follow the requirements of being present for the application process, and wait also with the rest of us. I saw a picture of Chrissy Teigen’s little girl at a passport processing so I guess yes! Which in many ways what is so interesting and great about all this bureaucracy and paperwork - everyone has to wait equally. (Well until they turn it into a gig economy).
People are also just kind of funny and it’s one of the few places that perfect strangers are happy to chat because there really is nothing else going on. People alternate between chatting and staring back at their phones when there’s a lull or it gets boring. I’m trying to think if there’s a sitcom to be written but my plot lines are thin. We commisserate and swap how long we’ve been waiting and cheer when someone’s number is callled. This one guy just ran inside the building like he’d won the lottery (“that’s my num-ber!!!”)
Two, I somehow feel entitled to eating terrible, but tasty foods, as if this is some unique feat of endurance. I started out optimistically this morning eating a fried chicken breakfast sandwich outside at the end of the line, and the security staff told us “hey just to let you know you will not be able to eat or drink inside.” So I said snap and I downed my sandwich and coffee because what if they made me throw it away? Two hours later I finally stepped inside and my sandwich and coffee were safe. I finally got a number after three hours and rushed out to get a sandwich ordering “to go” just in case I missed my number being called and I’d have to start all over. It was a jerk chicken sandwich with lots of melted cheese and I also splurged on a Frappuccino at 7-11 and I’m enjoying it now.
Wish me luck they close in two hours!
Comments