lonely pinata
as required by my sophomore year spanish class, I made a pinata. not that we all had to make pinatas, but everyone had to do some sort of creative, spanish culture inspired project. i distinctly remember a lot of people making tacos.
anyways, i checked out a how-to book from the library and set out to make an awesome pinata. i had big plans to make a llama. long story shorter, i didn't realize how tricky paper mache is and was forced to make a pinata that was the shape of a balloon. turning it upside down and sideways, I squinted my eyes and realized that this balloon would make a fine fish.
i bought purple tissue paper and covered the balloon's body with paper gills and crafted fins and a nice tail so that he could swim quick. lastly, (because i had run out of purple paper) i covered his face with white tissue paper that i took from a cardboard gift box that my mom was saving for a rainy day. i also made nice garfield eyes and a charming sideways smile. it was nemo, but before he needed finding. in short, i was extremely proud of what i had made.
i brought my pinata into class and when it was my turn to stand up and share my project with the class, my teacher clapped her hands and exclaimed "!Alicia! (that was my spanish name) I know the perfect place to put that! It can hang right over my desk!" I glanced at the area over her desk, and I glanced at my fish.
i frowned, and told her politely that i wanted to take it home. i don't remember how she reacted.
anyways, it's been ten years and it's basically sitting up on a shelf, collecting dust. i should've given it to her.
anyways, i checked out a how-to book from the library and set out to make an awesome pinata. i had big plans to make a llama. long story shorter, i didn't realize how tricky paper mache is and was forced to make a pinata that was the shape of a balloon. turning it upside down and sideways, I squinted my eyes and realized that this balloon would make a fine fish.
i bought purple tissue paper and covered the balloon's body with paper gills and crafted fins and a nice tail so that he could swim quick. lastly, (because i had run out of purple paper) i covered his face with white tissue paper that i took from a cardboard gift box that my mom was saving for a rainy day. i also made nice garfield eyes and a charming sideways smile. it was nemo, but before he needed finding. in short, i was extremely proud of what i had made.
i brought my pinata into class and when it was my turn to stand up and share my project with the class, my teacher clapped her hands and exclaimed "!Alicia! (that was my spanish name) I know the perfect place to put that! It can hang right over my desk!" I glanced at the area over her desk, and I glanced at my fish.
i frowned, and told her politely that i wanted to take it home. i don't remember how she reacted.
anyways, it's been ten years and it's basically sitting up on a shelf, collecting dust. i should've given it to her.
Comments