i found my kryptonite
Public transportation is a fabulous thing. It gathers people from all walks of life together all in the name of convenient and eco-friendly transportation.
This afternoon I was riding the bus home from downtown; I had gotten onto one of those double buses where it's basically two buses connected end to end, connected by a metal something or other that swivels so that it can fully turn.
I guess they haven't oiled that metal turnamajig because I swear everytime it made the slightest of movements it made the most awful and skin crawling squeak/ scratch that gives me chills up and down my spine and arms even now as I sit in the quiet comfort of my rental unit and write about it. It sounded like a high pitched elephant dying. It got worse as more people got on the bus because I guess it had more weight to shift around. It got even WORSE when it heaved itself up the hill because the front vehicle essentially dragged the back vehicle so that there was this terrible grating whenever there was tension put on it.
I honestly thought I was going to have to jump out of my skin and go do something else for awhile while I waited for the bus to get to my stop and then I could hop back in. There must be an extra chip in me that makes me completely sensitive to this noise; I glanced around to hopefully latch onto eye contact so that I could share grimaces with someone else, but found no one else who looked bothered.
muni - please please oil your metal connectors and doors. I don't think I can handle much more of this.
Love,
Allison
This afternoon I was riding the bus home from downtown; I had gotten onto one of those double buses where it's basically two buses connected end to end, connected by a metal something or other that swivels so that it can fully turn.
I guess they haven't oiled that metal turnamajig because I swear everytime it made the slightest of movements it made the most awful and skin crawling squeak/ scratch that gives me chills up and down my spine and arms even now as I sit in the quiet comfort of my rental unit and write about it. It sounded like a high pitched elephant dying. It got worse as more people got on the bus because I guess it had more weight to shift around. It got even WORSE when it heaved itself up the hill because the front vehicle essentially dragged the back vehicle so that there was this terrible grating whenever there was tension put on it.
I honestly thought I was going to have to jump out of my skin and go do something else for awhile while I waited for the bus to get to my stop and then I could hop back in. There must be an extra chip in me that makes me completely sensitive to this noise; I glanced around to hopefully latch onto eye contact so that I could share grimaces with someone else, but found no one else who looked bothered.
muni - please please oil your metal connectors and doors. I don't think I can handle much more of this.
Love,
Allison
Comments