for the love of ice cream
This morning I went to the bougie (read: Bourgeoisie) cafe on Arguello to get a cup of decaf drip coffee. I normally wouldn't go there except that the market next door has stopped making decaf. : Times are tough, after all. The coffee at the bougie is quite good and the atmosphere is really pleasant and neighborhood-ish, but the price for a small cup of coffee still seems lavish.
At any rate, I drank the coffee and had a little bit left come three o'clock in the afternoon while I was at the library. The library staff had had a potluck earlier this week and I knew that there was some leftover ice cream in the staff refridgerator. Going off of something that I've had at Tart to Tart, I grabbed my coffee cup with the leftover coffee and went down to the kitchen to scoop some vanilla ice cream into my cup. I knew that it was a great idea; not only would I get to enjoy some lovely vanilla ice cream, it would also be swirled together with coffee, more or less the ice cream with espresso spooned on top of it that I had enjoyed so much previously.
Opening up the carton, I found that there was still ample supply of vanilla left and I grabbed a plastic spoon from the counter. I started digging in with the spoon, but quickly realized that it was difficult with a plastic spoon; not only was the surface area and volume of the spoon's head not that deep or wide, it just didn't have much leverage power when inserted into the frozen ice cream. I glanced briefly at the metal spoons on the dishrack, but I quickly abandoned that idea in lieu of not wanting to wash the spoon later. So I kept on going, getting little nibs of vanilla in my cup.
Of course, this was not a great idea and a minute later, the spoon snapped in half at the handle and I also managed to slice my finger in the process. Only then did I reach for the metal spoon. But FYI, the ice cream and coffee were delicious.
At any rate, I drank the coffee and had a little bit left come three o'clock in the afternoon while I was at the library. The library staff had had a potluck earlier this week and I knew that there was some leftover ice cream in the staff refridgerator. Going off of something that I've had at Tart to Tart, I grabbed my coffee cup with the leftover coffee and went down to the kitchen to scoop some vanilla ice cream into my cup. I knew that it was a great idea; not only would I get to enjoy some lovely vanilla ice cream, it would also be swirled together with coffee, more or less the ice cream with espresso spooned on top of it that I had enjoyed so much previously.
Opening up the carton, I found that there was still ample supply of vanilla left and I grabbed a plastic spoon from the counter. I started digging in with the spoon, but quickly realized that it was difficult with a plastic spoon; not only was the surface area and volume of the spoon's head not that deep or wide, it just didn't have much leverage power when inserted into the frozen ice cream. I glanced briefly at the metal spoons on the dishrack, but I quickly abandoned that idea in lieu of not wanting to wash the spoon later. So I kept on going, getting little nibs of vanilla in my cup.
Of course, this was not a great idea and a minute later, the spoon snapped in half at the handle and I also managed to slice my finger in the process. Only then did I reach for the metal spoon. But FYI, the ice cream and coffee were delicious.
Comments