attempt at craftiness

To cut to the chase, I'm not great at crafts because 1) it frustrates me when I don't create something wonderful and magical on my first try and 2) it takes too darn long. So folks, that is why you will never receive anything handmade by me unless it is a carefully drawn birthday card that I have drawn with my ballpoint pen and colored in with crayons. Ask Jacob. He's still waiting for the homeade tissue box holder for Christmas 2006.







Since MLJ was helping out at a children's halloween fair for a local elementary school, the group of us that was going to be participating decided that we definitely should all dress up, and preferably, all within the same theme. We settled on mouse, cat, dog, because two of the girls already had cat costumes. I was going to be a mouse; it seemed fitting. I'm chinese, it's the year of the rat, rat is almost like mouse. GET IT?!







I meandered down to the spirit halloween superstore in downtown sf and i immediately was really turned off by the whole superstore experience. there was a whole wall of sexy lady costumes, and then another wall of hannah montana costumes, and then just a whole lot of overpriced and not very well made costumes filling up the rest of their racks. I found this headband thing with mouse ears that also came with a tail and a little grey bowtie. I'm not sure what the bowtie was for. I've never seen a mouse with a bowtie. I don't think even mickey wears one, except for maybe special occasions when he's all black tie, like in "fantasmic."







Anyways, I scared myself silly when I bumped into this random skeleton hanging from the ceiling and it started bobbing about and making goofy "hoo hoo hahahahahahah" noises and it was at that point that I decided to desert this mess and go to a craft store, purchase some grey felt and make my own ears and tail.





**** Disclaimer - this is going to be really rudimentary and ridiculously simple. please don't make fun of me. thx. ****










first i cut out the ears. i drew one ear on the felt, and then i made three copies of it. then i cut out pink parts for the inner part of the ear. i was going to sew them onto that black headband.









i sewed together the grey parts, did you see the cardboard strip in the middle of the ear? it is to make sure that the ear will stand up straight and not flop over. I sewed two grey parts together and then I taped (yes taped) the pink parts on the grey ears, and then i sewed it around the headband.


i also made a tail but that was...not great and i am ashamed of it so i won't post pics from that. but look! the finished product.



bryan is a pirate because he couldn't find a dog costume and also because we are a maritime journal and we like all things boats, whether they be cruise ships, love boats, or pirates.

happy halloween!!!

Comments

alexthegirl said…
i should send you the picture of the two of us. Then there can be TWO mice! GET IT? except I'm a pig and not a mouse....:(
The Whap said…
pretty badass costume

Popular posts from this blog

Bringing LeBron to the Bay

dukbukki...but not

no soda makes allison crazie