when God provides

This summer I'm doing an internship at Bay Area Legal Aid, working in the domestic violence unit. Unfortunately, it also doesn't pay. I'm very excited to be a part of this effort, but it's a little sad that I will actually be going negative in funds just to feed myself and transport myself downtown every day. At any rate, our school offers a number of public interest grants that assumedly go quite far in sustaining one during their (non-paid) public interest adventure.

I got word this past Thursday that I didn't get picked for it and I felt really down. For sure, I'm not so starved for cash that my shoes have holes and I'm eating dirt, but this is the first time I'm actually starting to rack up debt and it's a little innerving whenever I go to the ATM and watch my balance simply go down without ever going up!

That night, we had a Christian Club meeting at school (which is also wonderful, remind me to tell you about it later) and we did a study on Hebrews 11, which was a good reminder about having faith in God to be able to do so much, and of all the good things that He promises for us, most of all salvation through his son Jesus! And so, I decided to roll with the punches and try to figure out some sort of part time job that I could add onto what I was doing for Legal Aid.

Around the corner from where I live is a coffee shop that perpetually has a "help wanted" sign outside its window. It's been a life long dream to work at a coffee shop, and I figured I might as well inquire within. As directed by the woman working the counter, I called the manager of the shop and was told that they were looking for someone to do the 3 -11 pm shift, which doesn't quite jive with the 9-5, M-F thing I was doing with Legal Aid.

Then I went next door to this asian bistro type thing, which on craigslist listed that they were looking for a cook. I know, I know - I'm not a great cook. But I can learn, and there would be someone directing me! But then I realized that I'd have to work on Sundays during the brunch hour so I wouldn't be able to go to church, and I'm sure that that's not what God would enjoy.

So I said - okay what to do! I contemplated working at church and being a part time janitor, thanks jacob for being willing to do it with me - but then anthony started talking about how i'd have to carry 50 pounds and have a vacuum on my back and I started getting worried if I'd really be able to do it.

By Friday, after praying about it the night before and feeling frustrated that good work towards the public interest doesn't pay, I got word in my email that I got accepted by americorps to get a reasonably sized educational voucher for my public interest work. I was very excited because a) it's non taxable and b) it's non taxable.

Friend gave me the great idea of trying to get a job at the law library, which after feeling uplifted from the voucher, I went to inquire about that afternoon. Anyways, I filled out an application and lo and behold, I got the part time job! It's perfect because not only do I just come in on the weekends, it will extend to the school year which would be fabulous.

So in short, praise God - He really does provide! And even if this wasn't my original plan, I'm very excited with how it all panned out. : )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bringing LeBron to the Bay

dukbukki...but not

no soda makes allison crazie