Asian American guys

I was at the dermatologist a few years ago to get a consultation on the removal of a mole on my face. The nice man qualified the mole on my nose as a potential health threat, and scribbled in my records that there was a 3% chance that the little black mark would someday become cancerous, happily making its removal beyond cosmetic and into the "preventitive" category that I needed for it to be covered by my insurance.

During the awkward post examination chitchat, he politely asked what I was planning on majoring in at school.

"Oh, I think English."

"ENGLISH! That is fantastic! We need more Asians in the creative industry," he exclaimed, an Asian guy in his mid-thirties. "There are too many Asian engineers and doctors. We really need more of us out there on TV and in the general media."

As I stared at him in his white doctor's coat I got the distinct impression that his parents had dragged him into medical school kicking and screaming while all he really wanted to do was sit quietly in his Brooklyn loft and create some really sweet beats on his drum machine. So I nodded politely.

Anyways, this is all to say that it must be exciting for John Cho to score the ultimate Asian guy part - Sulu in Star Trek. I can't even think of another good Asian guy part. Maybe the King of Siam in "The King and I?" The karate teacher in "The Karate Kid?" The Rat in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?" A live version of "Mulan?" Shrug.

Comments

alexthegirl said…
Dude, lately, I've been watching more tv and there have been a lot of Asians on tv. Do you remember the Asian girl in "Bring it on"? She's on this commercial I saw today.

Popular posts from this blog

Bringing LeBron to the Bay

dukbukki...but not

travels to the desert, part 5