Mommy surprises
Among the many wonderful surprises I've unwrapped since becoming a mom, I like how much more engaged I feel with the community. People gladly hold open doors for strollers, and happily wave to your toddler. They want to know how old your kid is, and exclusively to Asian grandmothers, if he's a good eater (yes).
We were at target one day, browsing the candy aisle as we do, and a middle aged woman in the same aisle struck up conversation with Sammy asking his age but you know, really asking me. "Ah, two years old," she sighed. "Enjoy every moment, the bond between a mom and son is so special and before you know it, they will be big." And then of course, I spent the rest of the shopping trip fighting back tears because I hadn't yet considered that my chicken nugget who still needed to be rocked to sleep might leave me one day. Truly, how will that work, I will be heartbroken.
So yes, children are a social magnet and folks are just so warm with them. I'm sorry if this sounds dramatic, but it in part has restored my feeling that very many people want to be kind. There is so much negativity that gets broadcasted and conversely, sometimes the headline really is "puppies are cute."
Comments